In September 1901, Highlands-Mendota Beach School (now Crestwood) opened its doors to its first group of students.
The building has changed, but the school site is the same, on Old Sauk Road near the border of the original Towns of Middleton and Madison.
Highlands-Mendota Beach Holds its First Classes in September 1901
Students on the "bus" in the ca.1913 photo. The original building was located just behind where the old gym is located now.
Rural School Made "Modern" by Early Teacher
There were numerous articles about Miss Grace Wyman, teacher of the Highlands-Mendota Beach School from 1913-1916. She was well-known for her innovations, such as getting students' mothers involved with school activities and bringing sewing, cooking, typing and woodworking into the school's curriculum. Her next job was Supervisor of Rural Teachers for Western Dane County. She walked from school to school and helped other rural teachers improve their teaching methods, curriculum and their school's relationship with the community.
Where on Lake Waubesa is Our Old School Building?
In November 1955, the original school building (then being used for kindergarten) was sold for $65 and moved to a site on Lake Waubesa to become a cottage. It was the job of men riding on the top of the building to lift power and telephone wires over it as it moved down the road. So far, efforts to find the old building have been unsuccessful. Thanks to the Wisconsin State Journal for permission to use this photo taken on Highway 14.
One of the students in one of our earliest classroom photos is a relative of a longstanding State Senator.
Football Team in the Late 1940's
Highlands-Mendota Beach had a football team that practiced on the "battlefield" behind the school. The "battlefield" reportedly got its name from the snowball fights that took place there.
How does lunch 50 years ago compare to today?
Highlands-Mendota Beach Faculty and Staff in 1948
Behind the teachers is the original school building that was reportedly moved to Lake Waubesa and a later building that was replaced.